Thursday, October 27, 2016

Estas Triste?


Thoughts before writing ANYTHING on this blog:

who cares if my writing is full of grammar mistakes and makes no sense?

who cares if i use run ons and forget to place proper punctuation in my sentences?

why am i so concerned about what people care? WHY DO I HAVE A PUBLIC BLOG?

I really have don't have the answers to those questions, I wish I did sometimes. I remember when I used to write carelessly without looking to if it made sense. Now that I am 24, writing is something that should be done well, or else future employers can look it up and see what a mess you did with the English language. At my age, people are out there writing legitimate articles and BOOKS, granted, these books may not be very good, but they're still writing stuff that is seen by millions. It's like I have all of these thoughts in my head and I don't know how to get them out, writing seems to help. Especially when I'm sad, oh how the writing flows when I am sad.

DRAMATIC MUCH? yes, its in my blood. I'm Latina, remember? We're known for that.

So now that I think of it why not talk about sadness. YES, lets talk about sadness. Why are we taught so often to shun sadness away from our life? Why are people so scared of it? It's not like it is a bad thing, on the contrary, sadness is so incredibly beautiful. Whether we like it or not, its a part of our emotional makeup and to not embrace it would be to reject a part of who we are. Society has this weird obsession with being happy, dedicating a whole industry to it. Self help-this, lets fix-that. Everything is about positive thoughts and happy thinking, I'm sort of starting to get a little tired of it. Am I depressed? No. Am I a misanthrope? Of course not. But to say that I never get sad would be utter and complete bullshit. EVERYONE gets sad and everyone experiences those aching feelings of heartache and misunderstanding. Does it hurt, yeah of course, but when I sulk in it, even if its just for a little bit, a part of me releases things that aren't meant to be stored within me. More than catharsis, feelings of sorrow, anxiety, and heartache are meant to be ever-flowing, moving consistently through us according the situations outside of us, just like happiness. Emotions are meant to be fleeting, temporary, staying for periods of time until the next emotion is ready to come on to us full force. Why are we taught to treat this emotion differently? Why shouldn't we feel it deep within us? Why should we instead look for ways on how to get rid of it, or cope with it, or reject it in its entirety?

Maybe it's because I'm currently sad.

Maybe it's because sulking in this sadness has allowed me to feel things i haven't felt in a while. Emotions you simply cannot feel when you're "happy". Write things you cannot write when you are "floating through the clouds in love". Sadness is so beautiful and so melancholy and so vital to our existence. Next time you feel it, dont tell it to go away. Embrace those uncomfortable tingles and let it pass just like any other emotion.

You'll feel better, I promise.


& if you're down to listen to some sad tunes and embrace your inner melancholic, here's my "suelta & siente" playlist. You're welcome.



- Stef

image via  Antonio Alfarroba

No comments:

Post a Comment