Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mizpah Hotel // Tonopah, NV



Oh Mizpah Hotel! How you captivate me with your rich history, amazing architecture and that gorgeous sign that gazes upon the little town of Tonopah. If you know me, I love me some good ole vintage hotel signs. You know how some people have a thing for classic cars or collectible toys? I have a thing with rusty, vibrant, signs that have history and The Mizpah sign is definitely one.

The Mizpah Hotel was quite a looker when it was first built back in 1905, making it the tallest building in Nevada at the time (funny to think about how far we've come!) Being a native Nevadan, I grew up knowing about the hotel and its history but never really giving it too much thought, I mean it was in Tonopah...Tonopah! Which 12 year old kid would want to go Tonopah?! So as time went by I kind of forgot about the place, seeing it every once in a while in high school textbooks and documentaries. Until one day, (when I was terribly sick and all I could do was explore the 102 channels that I never bothered to watch) I came across a show that showcased a group of ghost hunters and their adventures, one of them being here, at the Mizpah Hotel. All of a sudden it all came back to me, its distinctive red sign, the intricate architecture, and the mysteries that this hotel kept within its walls.

Ever since then, I've been meaning to make a day trip out to this little town just to get some good shots of this place and visit it, since it's been revitalized after being closed for more than a decade. Luckily, I remembered that my [awesome] boss Brian was planning a road trip to Carson City which meant he might be driving through Tonopah. So of course, I asked that if he indeed made a stop, to make sure to snap some pictures for me to tie me over until I can see it for myself. He did indeed do just that, and well, I was in awe. The pictures turned out great, especially since the sky was bright blue without a cloud in sight, making a nice contrast against the buildings. I can't wait to head out one of these days to see it for myself, in the meantime, just relish yourself in these wonderful pictures of what is (in my opinion) one of Nevada's greatest landmarks.
____________________________________________________

All pictures taken by Brian L. Davie




Thank you Brian, seriously. You have no idea how happy this has made me. :)

1 comment:

  1. When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains the plan of
    a user iin his/her brain that how a user ccan khow it.
    Therefore that's why this article is outstdanding. Thanks!



    Stop by my blog; dog hoodies

    ReplyDelete