Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Gilcrease Orchards






 

Going to the orchard used to be something that we did every summer when I was little. My mom and would get us ready in our overalls and hats and my dad would get our lunch packs ready with ice cold waters and snacks. Spending the whole day picking apricots and figs was definitely one of the most treasured memories I have. This weekend I finally went back after almost 10 years of not going. (10 years! Can you believe that?!) This time however, I was the one getting my little cousins ready and preparing their lunch bags for the trip. (Goodness, I feel old) We went apple picking, sweet potato hunting, and pumpkin searching the weekend before Halloween making it our first time EVER picking out our own pumpkins!
 
 Las Vegas isn't exactly the best place to grow things considering we are a desert in the middle of nowhere, however Gilcrease Orchards always seems to bring some agricultural hope to us Las Vegans who usually never see any kind of edible thing grow from the earth. They had some delicious apple cider donuts right when you came in, and could take some pictures on haystacks and pumpkins for the yearly harvest family photo. I've never been to the orchard during this time of year, so it was definitely a different experience. Next time however, we'll make sure to come in earlier in the month to score the freshest batch of pumpkins and apples. :) They'll be closed for the winter season (starting next week i believe) but will open again sometime in March for the next set of vegetables and fruits. Yay for asparagus! So if you're in town and the season is right, stop by for an experience outside the Las Vegas Strip, I promise it won't disappoint! Especially in the summer when the peaches and apricots are in full bloom!
 
 
8103 Racel Street
Las Vegas, NV 89131
(702) 409-0655
 
 
<3 Stef

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! And yes... YAY for asparagus! :) I love all veggies! :)

    I answered your empanada question on my blog ;) Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for answering the question! I could use an empananada right about now (:

      Delete