Tuesday, September 4, 2012

 


Hello Everyone! It's been a while since I actually posted anything remotely close to a recipe and figured after cooking this dish that it would be the perfect opportunity to do so. While this isn't "technically" a recipe and more of a technique?, I guess it still counts (and is utterly delicious!).
 
I try to eat as much of a vegan diet as I can, you know, clean foods, raw foods, whole foods that sort of thing. (or at least I like to think i do). & like to go by the rule that if nature didn't create it, i have no business eating it. Sticking to dishes that I have prepared myself, lets me be conscious of everything that makes up that certain meal. As much as I'd like to say that I abide with the whole "Absolutely NO Animal Meat or Products", I can't help but get weak in the knees when I see a perfectly cut fillet of salmon, just waiting for me to season it and cook it! Everything about it makes me go crazy, and I not a lot of things have that affect on me....okay maybe a few. But still. How can you NOT like salmon? It's like perfection from the sea. & anyways, living by labels is overated. I like to eat what I want without being confined by strict rules. Wholesome, fresh, awesome foods is should always be ones way to go.
 
So here's the deal on how I cook it. Easy stuff, only 2 ingredients needed. There are different ways of course, but when I have a fresh piece i like to pan fry it.
 
Pan frying is a method form of frying characterized by the use of minimal cooking oil or fat (compared to shallow frying or deep frying); typically using just enough oil to lubricate the pan. [source] 

I must admit, I am one of those "pre-made seasonings" kind of gal. If i find something that makes my dishes taste good, you better believe i will be using it. (while being aware of the sodium content, of course). So right now, I am using this seasoning to put in all my stuff. Vegetables, potatoes, salmon, you name it, it's probably in there. It's awesome, and although it states its for grilling purposes, it totally works on non-grill cooking too.

 
So here's how the magic happens. I drop a little olive oil on it, rub it all over (salmon massage time!) and then sprinkle on the seasoning on both sides. Super simple right? Told ya! Let it sit for a little bit so the seasonings can be infused. Meanwhile, heat up your skillet to a medium high and add some olive oil. (Just a touch) Place your salmon and let it cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes, depending on the thickness. While you wait on your delicious and wholesome fish, saute some mushrooms and asparagus and you got yourself a meal! This totally took me like 20 minutes to complete. Perfection in my book.
 


"I remember growing up in Seattle, all we ever had was salmon for dinner. I would complain to my parents 'salmon again?!', not realizing how lucky I was considering I now live in a desert."
 - Mel (a dear friend)
 
 
True that!

P.S: Here's another post on cooking and marinating fish!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, Stef! Will need to try this out! With asparagus and definitely not take things or people for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Super Easy Mel! & yes, being thankful for everything! LOL

      Delete