Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Post Travel Blues

why does my hand always look so weird in pictures?!

Oh the post travel blues. I always seem to be a victim of this horrible state of mind right after coming back from vacation. However, this time around it's different, much different. I have a feeling it's due to it mostly being a "visiting family you haven't seen in years" kind of trip. My family all comes from Mexico, most of them still living there, so visiting Mexico is more about being around family and gathering together rather than being on a regular trip. You know, the one where you go sightseeing and stay at hotels. Granted, we go out and visit places, but I just absolutely LOVE being around those who I haven't seen in so long. Spending time with them, even if it's just around the table during the evening "merienda", always seems to just make me appreciate life for what it is and not what I can GET from it. If that makes any sense. Makes me forget about all the materialism that I am surrounded by on a daily basis and I am reminded that LOVE and being around those who make you smile is what really matters.

Now that i type this, I realize why I am having some serious withdrawals.

They are 2 different worlds. So close but so completely different. I mean not to be biased or anything, but I feel like my beautiful country of Mexico has an abundance of humility, culture, and kindness. Not saying that it is perfect, but most of the people there are not so concerned about the material and consider values to be what's important. People care, people are kind, people say hi, and people don't judge. I am grateful for my country, I was born here and this nation has given me privileges that others around the world lack. However, when i came back, I felt such a frigid feeling as soon as I got out the plane. Airport staff was hasty, people that walked around me looked distracted, and the city, despite the crowds, looked empty and sad. It was such a weird feeling, that I remember thinking to myself if we are a group of such diversity why is there such monotony. Why do I sense that people aren't satisfied? Aren't happy?

It's been hard. Coming back. Mostly because every second of the day I am thinking about those people i love that are thousands of miles away. But also, I realize that I miss that feeling of that the culture and country exudes. This last trip made me realize how immersed we can be into the things that are just passing. We all want the good things in life, we all want that house, car, pretty things, but in reality does that bring one happiness? Temporarily, maybe. But like everything man made, it won't fill that void that sometimes one feels. That void that can only be filled with love, values, and those qualities that make a person great.

I know that I'll be back. Already am planning for sometime next June or July. Can't wait to once again set foot on such a beautiful country, whose blood runs through my veins.

Have a wonderful week. Don't forget to LOVE, because after all that's what makes everything worth while.

<3 Stef 

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, beautiful mexico! I loved visiting that place & I'm currently dating a half-mexican. I just love their culture, the colors and their...novelas. lol!

    Take heart dear. You are a piece of Mexico to those around you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh their novelas! Never been one to watch one consistently, but there is the one that im so hooked on!

      Delete
  2. You are right on the ... MONEY (how ironic) with this post... yes... Mexico is not perfect... and I am saddened that most people only know the bad... I wish they could know the heart of the people, their love, their warmth, their compassion and their giving nature! ... thank you for sharing this (you look very cute on that pic)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you understand what I mean. I try to explain to people and they just don't get it. "Mexico Lindo y Querido" couldnt be anymore true! <3


      & thanks :)

      Delete