Monday, July 23, 2012

Raw Vegan Date Squares!


"Dates? What the heck are those?" those were my first thoughts when I stumbled upon this recipe. I honestly had no idea what dates even looked like. However, I went on the hunt for them and found some organic medjool dates at a local health store for a reasonable price. As soon as placed one in my mouth, I was hooked! Sweet but not to overbearing and a chewy texture that kept me coming back for more! I did some more research on them and realized that they tend to be really high in sugar, so eating too many of them is not recommended. Either way, one usually keeps away my craving for something sugary or sweet. If you haven't tried one, go and get some as they are amazing!

I haven't really dabbled too much in the world of raw desserts, but the little that I have tasted, has proven to me that there is no need to sacrifice taste or texture to achieve a delectable confection. This one uses only 5 ingredients, my kind of recipe! :) I reduced the measurements as I only made a small amount (enough for 6 squares) However, the linked recipe probably makes about 20 (not sure). I also omitted the salt, as I did not have any on hand (crazy right? I know!)

These are the perfect pairing to a cold tall glass of almond milk for breakfast or to bring as dessert to a potluck dinner. Either way, I'm sure they won't last too long!


Raw Vegan Date Squares
*adapted from "Oh She Glows"*

Crust
1/2 cup of raw almonds
1/2 cup regular oats
4 Medjool Dates (roughly chopped)
3 tablespoons of coconut oil

Filling
8 Medjool Dates (roughly chopped)
3 tablespoons of water

Directions:

Take a pan, cooking sheet, or other container and line with parchment or wax paper. Set aside. Take your oats, almonds, and dates and placed them in the food processor until it is of a fine crumbly texture. Add in your melted coconut oil and process again until its sticky and crumbly. Take 3/4 of your mixture and form into a firm square onto your container lined with wax paper. Place in the fridge while you make your filling. Take the rest of your mixture and set aside.

For your filling, simply take your dates and water and process until you have a jam like consistency. This might take some patience as you will probably have to stop and scrape the sides every now and then. Once you've got the paste form, take a wet spoon or spatula and spread on top of the formed square you had placed in the fridge. When evenly coated, take the remainder of crumbly awesomeness you set aside earlier and coat the top of the squares. Press firmly and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Once firm, cut into squares and serve. If there are any leftovers (which i highly doubt!) store in the fridge or freezer! :)



I used the same recipe but swapped the dates for cranberries. Same measurements, different dried fruit. They tasted delicious! Tart and sweet, perfect after a lunch as dessert! & besides that color is just gorgeous!


Have an amazing Monday! (:

2 comments:

  1. Those look sooo yummy Stef! You do have a gift in the kitchen my friend and you don't even want to admit to it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! thanks Paloma! (: Seriously, thanks for inspiring me to get into the kitchen more!

      Delete