Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Little Mexico in Vegas? Yessir!



Hey y'all! So although I know it's Wednesday I wanted to show guys a couple of pictures from my weekend since I actually left my cave and ventured out in this heat. (kidding, not really this heat is infernal). I decided to show you some of my favorite "Mexican Hot Spots" that I can't seem to live without and like to often visit.
 People forget that Vegas is full of diversity and is an amazing melting pot of people.
So let me show you my culture and what my people love, which is good food, antojos, and ambiance that reminds us of our tierra. Although I wasn't born in Mexico, I come from proud Mexican parents who instilled in me the importance of being proud of where my roots are from. Can't wait till August, when I'll see the real thing!! :)

Enjoy!


Broadacres Swapmeet: Once you set foot into the cultural beauty you forget your standing amidst North Las Vegas. From handmade Mexican knick knacks to fresh roasted peanuts you can get the South of the Border (just a gringo term LOL) experience without having to take out a Visa. No but seriously, this place has been in my heart since my childhood days. Being a frequent host to our weekend family outings, were I longed to get to the coconut stand. There you pick your coconut, they drain the water (give it to you in a cup) and cut it up into pieces right in front of you. I would then drench it in lime, salt, and Valentina. Yum! I haven't met anyone who doesn't like coming here, although I do know the 103 degree summer weather can make it difficult to walk around. All in all, I love this place, and hope I can give you a little taste of it through these few pictures!


"Limones" candied limes stuffed with sweetened shredded coconut. My mom's favorite.

 






La Flor De Michoacan: LOVE this place. The closest to authentic homemade Mexican ice cream and sorbet you'll get. From the traditional flavors of Limon, Strawberry, and Pistachio. To the more bold Avocado and Rose Petal (my fave!) flavors. This place just screams awesomeness. It's located in a rougher area in Vegas and is hidden in a pretty old shopping center, however is a true hidden gem. If you're not in the mood for ice cream, don't fret. They have every other little antojito that you can think of. From Tostilocos (below) to aguas frescas, chamangos, and even weekend tacos, this place definitely hits the spot on a hot summer Vegas day.



 Tostilocos: Like nachos in a bag, they're topped with cueritos, cabbage, hot sauce, pico de gallo, avocado and cheese. Definitely not for the faint of heart. My sister's favorite.


Pitaya (Dragonfruit) Sorbet with Rainbow Sprinkles


Jicaletas: Jicama on a stick topped with chamoy and Tajin.


In other news:

My bro and sis during a visit to my sister's new apartment


Me and my sister had the urge to ride on a roller coaster, so we bought a ticket and went on the Canyon Blaster inside Circus Circus Adventuredome. An indoor amusement park encased in a hot pink dome. It was packed, but I guess that was expected since school's out and EVERYONE and their mama comes here.


We had lunch at Johnny Rockets in the Fashion Show Mall and walked around after that. We snagged some pretty good deals on some hoodies at Victoria Secret and picked up some jewelry at Forever 21.

Sister's burger below, I got a Chicken Philly. We split a milkshake (:


The three of us (Sis, Isaac, and I) also saw Spiderman this weekend. Pretty awesome. Not gunna lie, totally LOVED it more than the original. Think it was the amazing chemistry between Emma and Andrew!


Loved my weekend. For once I didn't stay home and do laundry all day or bummed out in my pj's till 2 pm.
Although, right now, I could totally go for the 2 pm PJ's.

Have an awesome Wednesday!

<3 Stef

2 comments:

  1. I wish my town had cultural flair like that. Our town seems to do it's best to be as culturally flat as it can.

    I love the pink cowgirl boots, I want!

    Your brother is so young! I'm glad you had a good time with your family!
    Have a great week!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How the hell did i barely see your comment? LOL

      Delete