Thursday, July 19, 2012

Learn To Love Kale!


Kale. Oh so lovely Kale. How I used to hate you, but now love to dwell in your amazing nutrient dense leaves that somehow released all that stored energy within me. I wouldn't change you, except that bitter taste that seems to come from your stems, however that's not a deal breaker, I can fix you right up. So if YOU my dear, the reader that's here, have not had some of my good ole' pal Kale (cause according to Spice Girls, "you gotta get with my friends") you're missing out!
So on a more serious (and less rhymey note)

If you my friend are a kale virgin or don't have ANY intentions on adding it to your daily diet, keep on reading as I have the perfect salad that will make you question how you lived so long without it. If you're like me and had a traumatizing kale experience in which after you swore you would never let it to your mouth again, this salad will also restore your hope in this beautiful and amazing leafy green that does so much good for you, your body, and mind!

Kale is KING

It one of your best sources of beta-carotene, one of the antioxidants believed by many nutrition experts to be a major player in the battle against cancer, heart disease, and certain age-related chronic diseases. In addition to beta-carotene, kale posses other important carotenoids: lutein and zeaxathin. These carotenoids help keep UV rays from damaging the eyes and causing cataracts. (which are no good!) According to recent research results, kale is an incredible source of well-absorbed calcium, which is one of the many factors that may help prevent osteoporosis. It also provides decent amounts of vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin B6, manganese, and potassium. Kale also is anti-inflammatory due to all the awesome Omega-3 fatty acids in it.  [source]





 & after reading all of that who WOULDN'T want to eat Mr. Kale? So whatcha waiting for? Break yourself in with a recipe I made below which converted me into a kale believer! (:


Virgin Kale Salad

*i decided to call it that ^ because it's the perfect salad to give to all you kale virgins out there!
Salad Base:
1 cup of Kale (washed and de-stemmed**)
1 cup of a lettuce of your choosing (I had an "Italian Blend" bag on hand, so I used that. You can use whatever!)
1/2 of an organic english cucumber
5 organic cherry tomatoes
few cubes of avocado
A few slivers of red onion
Tablespoon of quinoa (or hemp seed)

Dressing:
1/2 of a lemon
tablespoon of olive oil
dash of ground sea salt
pinch of ground pepper
pinch of Mrs. Dash seasoning

**When you buy your kale bunch, take a few leaves and simply take off the "curly leaf" part separating it from the stem. This will make sure that your kale tastes a lot less bitter, which is the reason a lot of people get turned off  from kale in the first place. Make sure you rinse thoroughly and shake dry.

To prepare your salad base, place your kale and lettuce in a bowl. Cut your cucumber into slices then cut those slices in half again. Slice your cherry tomatoes in half, place them in the bowl along with your cucumbers, avocado, and onion. Set aside. For your dressing, squeeze half of your lemon into a small dish and add the tablespoon of olive oil. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and drizzle on top of salad. Mix away adding the quinoa (or hemp seeds) and place in the refrigerator for 15- 20 minutes (or overnight, even better!). This will ensure that the dressing marinates the kale, infusing it with the lemony dressing!

See how easy that was? It tastes super delicious and the kale (since it was marinated by the dressing) tastes very mild! Try it and tell me what you think! :)


What is your "never again" food? Leave me a comment! & don't forget to have an amazing Thursday!


<3 Stef

6 comments:

  1. You're hilarious! I might be convinced to try some kale now. It's green, so it's chances aren't good, but I'll give it a shot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Try it, make sure you let it marinate overnight if you're really nervous. :)

      Delete
  2. I've never had Kale!!! But you sparked my curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its amazing! (: I always thought it was just a leafy green that you decorated grocery store displays with. ;p

      Delete
  3. That's awesome Stef! Hubby LOVES, LOVES, KALE! I've never gotten into it... but I promise to buy it next time and make that salad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Isin't it funny how sometimes we are around a certain food but are reluctant to try it? LOL happened so many times with me and mamas "papalo" :)

      Delete