Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bouchon Bakery & Macarons!

(If you found yourself wondering where the heck I went, I was going through some Post Partum New York Depression. Although, I can't say I have fully recovered [don't think I ever will be, until I go back] I am doing much better, thanks for understanding) :)


If there is something that delights my soul more than getting back into the habit of things (which I clearly needed to after neglecting this blog) its macarons. Nope, not the coconut ones, which are indeed tasty, but the awesome french cookie ones that seem to be the new IT thing. The lovely colorful beauties that come in an array of flavors and are ridicilously hard to find here in Vegas seem to be the new craze. After much reading about them, I realized that other than France, the place to get your hands on them is New York City. So while I was there a couple of weeks ago, I headed over to Bouchon Bakery in Time Warner Center on a rainy day (since I wasn't able to head over to Macaron Cafe, which is where I really wanted to go) and got me a 6 pack of baby macaroons. It was there where I lost my macaron virginity and must I say it was an unbeleiveable and magical experience. Really.

It was like nothing I have ever tasted before, all the different textures that meshed so nicely with the ganache filing. It wasn't just a party in my mouth, it was freaking Brazilian Carnival on its 3 day binge of dancing and colorful costumes galore! The only way I can describe it, is of an inverted cupcake like cookie with a crunchy outer layer yet an amazing moist fluffy inside with the utter most....see  I can't even finish describing how awesome it is cause it makes my mouth water. Google it.

(True Story; just got sidetracked onto the Macaron Cafe website and was overflowed with joy when I saw they shipped, almost ordered a 44$ box of macarons, then quickly exited out before I pressed the Process button) (sad face)

When I got back from such magical experience, I knew of some places around town that sold macarons and was anxious to try them. I had spotted some when I was roaming around City Center's Vdara Hotel and was super excited to see that they were of affordable pricing. Once I bit into one I realized why. THEY WERE HORRIBLE! They were truly a disgrace to the macaron community, making them seem like some tacky, playdoh like cookies with weird aftertastes. (TRAUMATIZED).

Then, I had seen some at  Jean Phillipe's Pattiserrie inside the Bellagio but was saddened to see that they only had boxed sets available so decided to skip out.


However, a glimmer of hope was revived within me when I headed over to Bouchon Bakery...


Recovering from such traumatic experience at Vdara's Market Cafe, I was releived to know that I had purchased from them when being in NYC and somehow had a feeling that they would be similar in some way. The place was small bakery counter and had an array of pastries, breads and desserts similar to the one I had visited before. I immediately headed over to the macarons and notice they were running low but had a decent amount of flavors available. Bouchon is known for there larger size of macarons so I expected them to be larger than usual. They were 3.50 each and although that might seem expensive that is normal for the macaron world.

I ordered 2.



Vanilla and Raspberry

They were all I imagined them to be. 

The actual macaron was pretty amazing. Even though the filing was a bit soft (having been used to a more firm ganache) it was still a good consistency when paired with the cookie. It was crunchy on the outside, yet didn't crumble (just as it should). The inside being soft and fluffy  tucked with a ganache/jam filing just how a perfect macaron should be created.

Heaven.

See for yourself.







So considering that we have no MacarOn Cafe's out here, I don't mind at all settling for Bouchon. So if you are in town, near The Venetian and are having a macaron attack stop by and grab some. You won't be dissapointed. Although I must let you know finding this place was a mission. It is right in front of the PHANTOM theater so make sure to find a map nearby or ask a security. Overall I give this place a B+. Lacking in the 'ease of access' area. If you decide to go, try the pistachio one for me, would ya? & let me know how it tastes!

3 cheers for macarons!

3355 Las Vegas Blvd S 
 Las Vegas, Nevada 89109
(866) 659-9643

(In front of Phantom Theater)


P.S; If you like all things sweet, check out my review here on this cupcakery! :)

<3 Stef


3 comments:

  1. wow! Those truly look good! I will have to TRY to make some soon! Oh! I am suffering now! I MUST HAVE ONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paloma they are DELICIOUS!! Have you ever had one? If not, you need to...right now! LOL (:

      Delete
    2. Sooo delicious!!

      Delete