Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Coconapple Cake!


Okay, so I know what you're thinking, "Coconapple"?! I know, I know, that might not be the greatest or most attractive name ever but hey, I didn't major in 'recipe-naming-nomics' and I really didn't want to go with a boring "Coconut Pineapple" name. With that said, I bet you can guess what this cake is all about. Yup, coconut and pineapple, all around baby! I love coconut, always have and will. It seems that when I get a craving for cake in the summer, coconut or lemon with a light whipped cream seems to be what my sweet tooth wants. So when I saw this recipe, it seemed pretty simple and easy enough for me to do. I went onto more internet wanderings, and came across this recipe, & decided to go with that one, and do a couple of tweeks to my liking. I promise it's easy. If I can do it (a kitchen challenged human being, as my sister calls me) anyone can! It's moist and light and not too sweet. The lightly sweetened whipped topping pairs so well with the sweetness of the cream of coconut infused cake. Once you take a bite it will feel like you're swinging on a hammock on a sandy white beach next to the Carribean ocean!

Coconapple Cake

Cake
1 Super Moist or pudding included cake mix, white or yellow
3 eggs
1  (14 oz.) can coconut milk
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 (8 oz.) can of crushed pineapple, drained. Save juice.

Glaze
7 oz of cream of coconut (coconut cream is NOT the same thing, make sure you get the right one)
Reserved pineapple juice

Frosting
1 pint of whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use 1 teaspoon if you like more)
coconut for dusting

Prepare pans (I used a 9x13-inch pan) and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.**
In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, and coconut milk with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds (don't bother with adding the oil the cake mix asks for). Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping occasionally. Fold and beat in coconut and pineapple. Pour into pan/s. Bake as directed per pan size on box (mine baked for around 40). Don't over bake, I take it out when a few moist crumbs stick to a toothpick. Cool 15 minutes.

For your glaze, mix the pineapple juice into the cream of coconut and beat on low speed until you have a smooth liquid consistency. Once your cake has cooled for about 15 minutes, poke holes throughout the cake using a fork or a kabob stick. Carefully spoon glaze mixture evenly over warm cake allowing liquid to soak into the holes. Place cake into the fridge to cool completely (or if you're in hurry, the freezer).

While your cake cools completely, take 1/2 cup of coconut and
toast it, set aside. Beat the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. (If making a layer cake, you may want to beat it just a little extra so that sticks to the sides of the cake). Once cooled, frost the cake with your prepared whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut all around. Refrigerate it for a couple of hours or overnight (tastes better!). Taadaa! Enjoy!
**If layered cakes are more your thang, fill it with some crushed pineapple and whipped topping, yum!




Let me know if you try this! The cake I made for the pictures turned out a little more golden than expected, but still delicious. What's your easy fool proof recipe?

<3 Stef


1 comment: