Friday, April 20, 2012

Marinating Fish!

 Let me start out by saying that by no means am I a chef or a culinary expert, or have ever had a desire to be one. Heck, I didn't even start getting into the kitchen until about my freshman year in high school! I remember when my sister and I were younger and would be hungry after school, she (being the cook of the house) would whip herself some of the most amazing stuff out of whatever she could find in the fridge and pantry. It was common to see me eating a heaping bowl of Cocoa Pebbles while she savored plates of chilaquiles en salsa roja, flautas,and huevos rancheros. I never understood why she never made me some of whatever she was making (maybe she was secretly trying to spark the inner culinary artist within me). However, all of this changed when I decided to give up red meat about 3 1/2 years ago and I was forced to cook most of my meals to suit my needs. I remember the first couple of months rotating between 4 different dishes that I knew how to do well and tasted somewhat decent. However, as time progressed and I googled more recipes and picked up more cook books I think i have advanced to "can survive on my own" level having worked up to the point where I know enjoy cooking, and sometimes cook from instinct without instruction and on a limb. (My amazing spinach pesto stuffed chicken was a result of this, yum!) But anyways, now I am just rambling, and I tend to be good at that, so I will go onto the reason of this post; Delicious Fish!


 


 Growing up in a Mexican home, I was really never exposed to fish unless it was deep fried and served with a side of fresh salsa, rice, and salad. Mojarras were usually only prepared during family gatherings as they required some serious deep frying & were sometimes a little more costly to buy. I remember when I was first exposed to fillets, my whole world flipped upside down. "You can eat fish without the skin?! You can cook it different ways?!" i thought. This blew my mind! I remember the first way of learning how to cook a fillet was the classic butter&dried herbs way; sauteed in a skillet. After a while, I learned the beauty of marinating with salt&pepper, real&fresh herbs, citrus juices, seasonings and rubs, and bringing out the wonderful flavors when you let it soak into the fish. Today I am sharing one of my all time ways of marinating salmon (my favorite!), that is easy and fresh; with ingredients that blend flawlessly to produce a very tasty result.

All you need:

a fresh or thawed salmon fillet (I get mine from Sam's or Costco)
onion slices
1 large lime
2 cloves of garlic
fresh rosemary 
a pinch of your favorite dried herb seasoning 
olive oil
salt&pepper


Go ahead and place your fillet in a plastic dish or container and rub or sprinkle your seasoning on making sure to cover the desired area. Cut your lime in half and squeeze the juice onto the fish making sure you cover most of it. Cut 2 or 3 lime slices (which you will place on top) and squeeze whatever juice you have left. Slightly crush your garlic cloves and place around or on top of your fillet, along with your slices of onion ( i love onions!). Add a drizzle of olive oil after this and your salt and pepper. Garnish with the rosemary sprigs and your lime slices. Let it marinate for at least 3 hours so it can really soak in all the variety of flavors. During this time you can cook up some simple side dishes such as rice, a fresh salad (like the one below) or steamed vegetables; & catch up on some New Girl and Biggest Loser. (: 
When you're ready to cook your fish, I like to transfer everything (juice and all!) onto a piece of foil, wrap it up, and put it on the George Foreman grill or oven. The cooking time of the fish really depends on the thickness and size of your fillet, you can get a good idea of the time by checking out this page here. I love cooking fish and the wonderful aroma that fills the kitchen while doing so. So the next time you have some fillets on hand, try this recipe and let me know how it goes! Good luck! (:

 
(simple salad idea: romaine hearts, tomatoes, cucumbers; with a drizzle of olive oil, squeeze of lime and salt)


No comments:

Post a Comment