Thursday, December 15, 2011

How To Look Fab in Less than 10





Aaahh! So you wake up frantic, your clock reads 7:55 am and you're supposed to be at work by 8 o'clock. What does your instinct tell you? "Grab the first thing you see, put your hair in a messy ponytail, and forget about your makeup, cause girl you aint got time!" Am I right? Well at least that's what MY instinct tells me. However, I learned (with time and by reading blogs) that you don't have have to appear as if you woke up in a fright. Here are a couple of the tips;

HAIR
*Took these pictures at work, during a break, so don't mind any random items in the back*


1. Twirl a front section (or your bangs) and secure with a bobby pin to the side of your head.







2.) Twirl all of your hair and coil it to the side of your head, fastening it with a couple of bobby pins or an elastic.



3. Wait a bit; During this time you can apply your makeup (see below) or can be driving to work. This is in total should have taken you less than 2 minutes


4. Now once you have let your hair "curl" for a bit, undo the side bun (adjusting the twirled front section to your liking) which should leave you with slightly curled ends for a more polished look.




At this point you could leave your hair like this, which would look similar to Ms. Garner's hair below (I completely forgot to take a picture of my WHOLE hair) but a little less textured.



BUT if you don't want hair in your face (let's say it's raining or a windy day) you could keep going onto step 5.

5. Go ahead and tease your hair lightly at the crown with your fingers, and grab all of your hair into a ponytail. Once it is in a ponytail, secure with an elastic and grab a piece from underneath your ponytail and wrap it around the elastic (to hide it). Secure with either a bobby pin, or by securing it into the elastic.




Makeup


Who masters the neutral-im not trying-pretty -chic make up look for me?
Whitney Port, hands down. The picture above is what you're going for.
(Maybe a little less blush LOL)

Forget about your smokey eye or any heavy lipstick; you won't find any of that here. Here is my 4 minute (or somewhere around there) routine that helps me when I'm on the run.


1. Put on a light moisturizer to prep your face: No matter how much you might want to skip this step, dont. Applying a moisturizer will revive your skin, making you look fresh and awake. Let it sit for about 30 seconds (I would usually say let it soak into your skin for 3 min but given the circumstances...) Lately, I've been using NouriFusion for Herbalife Normal to Oily Moisturizer. Clinique Acne Solutions Moisturizer is also a great one.
45 seconds


2. Put on a bit of tinted moisturizer or foundation: Make sure you blend adequately and set it lightly with a powder. I like Covergirl's NatureLuxe Foundation since its pretty lightweight (which smells good, might be the cucumber) or MaryKay's Tinted Moisturizer. Don't forget to set with a pressed powder. I like Dream Matte Powder by Maybelline or MaryKay's Loose Powder.
1 minute

3. Blush: Choose a peachy pink color or a light rose & apply to the apples of your cheeks. My favorite all time blush is by Bare Minerals in the color Poppy.
15 seconds




4. Eyes: Apply a base for your eyeshadow such as Mac's paint pot in Soft Ocher or Groundwork (my fave) Apply a taupe or brown eyeshadow to the your lids using a flat shadow brush. (You can find really good quality neutral palettes with NYX, Milani, or ULTA brands) Finally apply a a line of liquid eyeliner on your top lashes, and add mascara! My favorite mascara at the moment is Loreal's Voluminous in Carbon Black.
2 minutes
5. Last but not least; exfoliate your lips quickly by brushing a toothbrush (or with a lip scrub) over your lips for a few seconds to get rid of any dead skin and nastiness. Apply a lip balm: I like C.O Bigelow's Rose Salve or Burt's Bees Mango Butter Lip Balm. None leave too much color, just a nice sheen. & since the exfoliation you did earlier circulated the blood in your lips, there really isin't a need for too much color, since your lips will already have a natural one!
20 seconds seconds

Total: 4 minutes & 20 seconds (give or take)



Clothes


I have only 1 tip when it comes to picking out clothes when running late:

1. Always have an Emergency (neutral) outfit hanging ready in your closet.
What I mean by this is to find a flattering shirt or blouse and a pair of nice fitting slacks or jeans, or a flowy dress layered with a cardigan; pieces that are in simple patterns and neutral colors; Have them washed and ironed, so they are ready to be worn & keep the outfit hanging in your closet at all times, so when it so happens that you wake up late, you won't even have to worry about what to wear.

My go to choice?

a cardigan, slacks or jeans, and a tank top.



Never fails! Looks effortlessly chic and put together


So there you have it...a few tips to those hectic days that seem to happen when we least need them to. What are your tips? Is there anything you do that saves you time?

<3 Stef

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Chevrolet Lumina APV - Minivan AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete